Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter #6: To a Stranger


Here is the sixth letter in my 30-day letter challenge. 

Dear Sir,
I saw you when we went out to eat dinner at the Warsaw Inn.  We were sitting at a table for four near the middle.  You were sitting alone by the wall.  You had a glass of red wine pour neatly to the right of your plate.  I don’t know why I remember the part about the red wine.  I guess it made me think that you were enjoying your dinner.  You don’t have red wine if you plan on scarfing down your meal. 

But the thing I remember most about you was not your wine.  No, it was your sadness that I remember most.  There was such genuine sorrow written on the wrinkles of your face.  We thought maybe you used to come here regularly with your wife, that maybe the Warsaw Inn was “your spot” with her.  We thought maybe that she died and you continue to frequent your favorite spots to keep your wife’s spirit alive. 

Of course, I don’t know if you were married, or ever were for that matter.  All I know is that the sadness was there.  I hope that your sadness will fade.  I hope that you can be happy again.

I’ll probably never see you again but in the brief time that I saw you eating dinner with your red wine, you taught me a lesson.  Cherish the time you’ve got.  Cherish your loved ones.  Love your spouse.  Never take anyone for granted.  I hope you find peace from whatever was troubling you.

May God bless you and keep you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment