Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter #3: To My Parents



Here is another letter in the 30-day letter challenge. This one is to my parents.

I don’t know where to begin so I’m just starting here: I’d be on the street if it wasn’t for you.  You both are so generous.  You have given me so much… I don’t mean material things either.  Through your generosity, you’ve given me lessons.  How to be.  How to love.  How to be selfless.  How to do the right thing, even when it hurts.

Mama, you’ve taught me that a mother eats the burnt half of the bagel and shares the good half with her daughter.  You’ve taught me that a mother selflessly gives her time and efforts for others.  I learned that a mother better have her act together and know where everything is.  You’ve walked countless miles holding my stuff.  It’s my turn now to cart stuff around the city, the zoo, the museum, Europe.  I know how to be a woman because of you. I hope that one day I can be just as good a mother as you.

Daddy, you’ve taught me to be proud of your roots.  You taught that you stand behind family no matter what.  You’ve taught me that it’s okay to take “short cuts” if it means you really get to take the long, scenic root.  You showed me that it’s okay to leave the bed unmade for the day… as long as you make it sometimes.  I double and triple check things because of you – and it’s saved me many, many times!!

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m proud to be your daughter.  I am who I am because of you. 

Thank you for everything you do.  You’ve given me so much, but again, the lessons you’ve taught are priceless. 

I love you.
Doodles
Cata
Captain
Student
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment