Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter #5: To My Dreams


Here is the fifth letter in the 30-day letter challenge. This one is supposed to be to “my dreams.”  How do you write a letter to your dreams?  Does it mean dreams as in aspirations or dreams as in nightly REM cycle dreams?  I don’t know.  Well, I’ll guess I start by saying that I have very unusual yet vivid REM-type dreams.  I try to analyze them.  In the summer after seventh grade, I had intense dreams all summer long. I dub it “the summer of the dreams.”  Here are a few examples.
1.    I lost a really cool bracelet that my mom gave me, and I was pretty sad about it.  One night, I had a dream that I found my bracelet.  Seemed like a normal dream…. But here’s the kicker: when I woke up, the bracelet was in my bed.
2.  In 4th grade, I had a dream that St. Nicholas saved my life.  He told me to wake up so I didn’t die.  So, I woke up.  One of my loose teeth had fallen out in the night and was loose in my mouth.  Later, that day, I realized it was the feast of St. Nicholas.  So… my theory?  I had a dream that told me to wake up so I didn’t choke on my tooth??? Sounds crazy. Maybe it is. But that’s how it happened so judge the facts for yourself.

Anyway, I’ll start my letter.  I’ll go with the aspiration type dreams.

Dear Dreams,

I’ve always been a dreamer.  For as long as I can remember. Daydreamer fits me perfectly.  I think one of the reasons why I’m never bored is that I’m such a good day dreamer. 

You’ve always given me great aspirations to work towards so thanks! Sometimes I think my dreams are too unattainable, but the challenge is kind of fun…. Sometimes its not fun, but for the most part it is. 

One of my favorite poems has to do with dreams so I’ll share:

what if you slept?
and what if
in your sleep you dreamed?
and what if
in your dream you went to heaven
and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
and what if when you woke up
you had that flower in your hand?
ah, what then?

-coleridge


Love,
The Dreamer



No comments:

Post a Comment