Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thought of the Day:Music

I have always loved, adored music.  Music can say what words cannot.  Lyric-less music has a way of meaning more than a word or two.  I don't know how, and I cannot fathom the power behind music but I know it is there. 


Music is emotional, it is support, it is sustenance in a dry world. It is a passion. Real, true music (not pre-packaged commercialized music that is produced just to make profit) can change your life. 


Music has always been a part of me.  I remember when I was little, my family would take 11-hour car trips down to Georgia to visit family. I loved those car rides.  I know it seems crazy to love being stuck in a car for 11 hours, but it was glorious. The ride was beautiful and somehow mystic.  We drove for hours down winding, tree-lined roads.  I could feel the earth come alive!  I would blast my walkman and just stare out the window, letting the music guide my thoughts. 


In fourth or fifth grade, I remember laying on the living room floor all afternoon, listening to classical music - Pachabel in Canon D - vowing that would be my wedding song, which it was. 


During a tough breakup after high school, music was so emotional - listening to one song would bring a deluge of tears. 


Music got me through a growing/learning phase in college.  


Traveling abroad, I relied on the comforts of my music in new places.  Because I listened to certain music so much, it became a soundtrack for my journeys.  Those songs still conjure up images of my explorations and wanderlusts. 


Lately, I have been wanting to take up piano again. I learned a little while I was in 8th grade, and the desire to play and learn more has overtaken me.  


All of that brings me to my point: lately, I have had this desire so strong to express certain thoughts and feelings but words are failing me.  The only way I can do it is through music.   


This song in particular says what I am trying to say: 


No comments:

Post a Comment