Friday, November 5, 2010

A Brief Respite



We went to Starved Rock, IL last Sunday (which was Halloween).  It was the best part of the week, month, semester.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  

There's something about being completely surrounded by wilderness that absolutely captivates me.  It frees my mind and I am calmed.  I feel so little in the woods yet so protected and safe. 

We had a picnic in the Lodge and then hit the trails.  Near the end of our day, just twilight was breaking, we saw a few deer.... a few 3 feet away from us. We just stood still and watched them eat and graze.  Finally, they passed us and went on their merry way.  As the sun set, the forest began to grow more and more alive.  

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.  
~John Muir, 1913, in L.M. Wolfe, ed.,John Muir, John of the Mountains:  The Unpublished Journals of John Muir, 1938


Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.  
~Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment