Monday, March 21, 2011

A Candle in the Darkness

Picture it: a dark room and the only source of light is coming from a deep red pillar candle.  The candle doesn't flicker as most flames are assumed to do.  Rather, the flame stands up straight, allowing a clear reflection of the flame to be seen mirrored in the pool of hot wax.  The candle flame draws my attention as soulful music plays in the background.  


Leaning up against the wall, I lose track of time.  Do minutes pass? or seconds? or hours? I don't know.  I am swallowed up in my own prayerful meditation and I lose track of my surroundings.  Although the music is still playing, I can't hear it anymore.  I know other people are walking around, but I don't see them or hear them.  I fall deeper and deeper into this state..... then suddenly someone is by my side and we talk.  We pray together. Although my words were guided from above, these conversations were humbling and my heart goes out to the others.  I wish nothing but the best for you. 


I close my eyes again.  When I open them again, I see the silhouette of someone walking down the hall.  As he gets closer, I begin to smile.  My love.  He crosses the room and my smile grows.  Finally, a very familiar face is sitting next to me, across from the deep red candle.  


Funny, the little snippets of our lives that can be so packed with meaning.  A twenty minute span that holds enough wisdom to write volumes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment